Deviating from the theme of my last few posts which have been somewhat morbid, here’s a recipe to make you feel warm and happy. It’s out of the best food magazine in Australia, Delicious. and now affectionately known in my family as the salad we force my Mum to make for any gathering because it gets wolfed down every time. It’s a little on the spicy side.
- 1 cup (200g) fresh corn kernels, or frozen corn kernels
- 2 large corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 50g jalapeno chillies in brine, drained,
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brine reserved
- 100g sour cream
- 425g can black (turtle) beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 truss tomatoes, seeds removed, sliced
- 1/2 bunch coriander, leaves picked
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cos lettuce
- Lime wedges, to serve
Preheat the oven grill to high. Boil the kettle. Place corn in a heatproof bowl and pour over boiling water. Set aside for 3-4 minutes. Rinse and drain.
Tightly roll up the tortillas and slice into 5mm strips. Toss to separate, then place on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Grill for 3-4 minutes until golden. Cool.
Combine jalapeno brine and sour cream in a bowl. Season. Combine corn and remaining ingredients, except lime, in a bowl. Drizzle with sour cream mixture, top with tortilla and serve with lime wedges.