The original recipe for this Thai salad appeared in an old Thermomix cookbook but I’ve adapted it over the years to add chilli to the dressing, snow peas to the salad greens and substituted slivered almonds with toasted sesame seeds. You could play around with different greens in the salad – it’s really the dressing that makes this dish amazing. It serves around 4-6 as a side and you will need:
- 2cm cube ginger, peeled
- 20g oil of your choice, e.g sunflower or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 40g fresh lime juice (approx 2 limes)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 red or green chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage (wombok), sliced
- A few handfuls of baby spinach (around 100g)
- A large handful of snow peas, finely sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- For the dressing, grate the ginger and mix with all the other dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a pan over low heat until they turn light brown. Set aside to cool.
- Whilst the sesame seeds are toasting, combine all the salad greens in a bowl then pour over the dressing, mix through and finally toss the cooled toasted sesame seeds through just before serving.